The Office for the Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination monitors and evaluates campus efforts to meet requirements of the 1972 federal legislation which prohibits all forms of sex (Title IX) and race (Title VI) discrimination in educational institutions that receive federal funding. Beyond meeting the complex legal requirements for resolving sex/race discrimination, sexual/racial harassment, sexual assault and rape issues, this office helps to create and maintain a University campus community committed to positive values of equal opportunity, and fosters a climate free from all forms of harassment, exploitation, or intimidation.
The Title IX Compliance Officer:
- provides policy information and guidance when responding to incidents of possible sexual or racial harassment.
- advises the Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost on cases concerning faculty charged with sexual or racial harassment.
- is the Campus Complaint Resolution Officer for the resolution and investigation of sexual harassment complaints against faculty pursuant to the Berkeley Campus Policy on Sexual Harassment and Complaint Resolution Procedures.
- may serve as or designate a Complaint Resolution Officer for complaints alleging racial harassment by faculty.
- may assist Office of Student Conduct in the resolution and investigation of sex discrimination and sexual harassment complaints against students in accordance with the Code of Student Conduct.
- may assist the Office of Human Resources in the resolution and investigation of sex discrimination and sexual harassment complaints against staff.
- may, when appropriate, initiate action, including investigation, when the University is on notice of facts that indicate the University needs to take steps to ensure that the campus does not maintain a sexually hostile environment.
- is available upon request to discuss the relationship between sexual harassment and other types of relationships prohibited by campus policy, such as consensual relationships between faculty and students.
- is responsible for overseeing and coordinating campus response to issues related to sexual assault and rape, pursuant to the Berkeley Campus Student Policy and Procedures Regarding Sexual Assault and Rape. Note: investigation of allegations of student-on-student assault and rape is the responsibility of Office of Student Conduct.
- works with the Associate Vice Provost for Faculty Equity in matters related to gender discrimination.
Title IX & Title VI Compliance Officer: Nancy Chu, 510 643-7985, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Compliance Education Coordinator:
- directs educational outreach for faculty, staff and students, specifically in sexual / racial harassment prevention and generally, on issues of equity and campus climate concerns.
- manages and coordinates team collaboration efforts across campus departments.
- responds to inquiries regarding issues of harassment or discrimination on a prohibited basis.
- provides education and training for academic departments and administrative units.
- designs and facilitates workshops addressing department climate concerns with in-tact workgroups.
Compliance Education Coordinator: Maria Padilla, 510 643-9707, email@example.com